Sunday, December 30, 2012

Why are we shocked really?

Why are we 'shocked' that Nirbhaya is no more? She died a long time back. She died at the hands of those 6 bas*****. She died again when insensitive idiots made statements like 'women invite rape' or 'she should not have resisted rape'. She died when our politicians used this opportunity yet again to gain political mileage. She died when rape reports kept flooding in even as she was in the hospital and the protests were on. Medically too, all that was left of her was her body with no intestines and failed organs.

Really what are we shocked about?

What we should be worried about is that time and again, we wait to incidents to happen to awaken our apparent conscience. 26/11, Jessica Lal, Nirbhaya now......and yet from tomorrow, the eve teasers will be back on the streets. The Khaps will continue to reign in their miserable power. The rapists will continue seeking their next target. Women will continue wearing burkas, in real and in symbolism too. Some women will continue to remain women's worst enemies. Personally, I don't only blame the government.

I don't only blame the police. I blame all of us. Each time there has been an eve teasing incident, why do the passers by not step up then and there? Why do I have to hang my head in shame as if somehow I am the one who has shamed society and not the other way around? Why do I have to face the momentary stigma because I was wronged? Why dont all those hundreds of people around me join hands to tell off the eve teasers so that the next time, the wrong doers are first scared of society and then the police?

So really, why are "we" shocked? Why are we not shocked when society calls women the weaker sex, even the fairer sex - the mere comparison makes one lesser than the other.

 I don't know about you, but I will try to act brave in my everyday life, not just towards myself but every injustice that I encounter. I will encourage my brother, my friends to do the same. In the hope that it's not another gruesome incident that I wil have to wait for to ignite my fighter-spirit, to make me realise that any change can not wait for political reforms or for police to be present at every nook and corner that I visit. Change will happen when we decide for it to happen.

Crimes will not stop because of FEAR of later possible punishment. No. Crimes will be curbed when people are made to understand the heinous-ness of wrong acts, when they are educated about everybody's equal right to live, when LIVE AND LET LIVE drives our society and not the greed for power.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I do not have a one-liner for myself and writing anything more than a line here would amount to vanity and/ or boredom. Best left unsaid, even though I've already said so much.