Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dear Justice Verma

I would like to begin my email with thanking you. I dont know what the outcome of your effort will be but thank you for even making this effort. At least this time, its not all talk but some attempt at doing something definitive.

I dont think we need reforms ONLY in rape/ molestation cases but in the fundamental way our society approaches human life and crime.

For this, I recommend the following;

1) Immediate resignation of ALL politicians that have any criminal record against them in the last 8 years. Those that are criminals themselves cannot save us from crimes

2) Weightage driven voting system - 1 urban vote should have more weightage than a rural vote. The days of politicians buying out their votes by means of 1 bottle alcohol and 1 packet of biryani need to end. This will also encourage urban people to vote as currently we anyway feel that our votes will be outnumbered by bought out votes

3) Immediate suspension of any politician that makes an insensitive, ill informed statement about any issue that concerns us, our country, our interests,

4) Police to be paid better and made more accountable and sensitive. Formal monthly forums where public can meet the right people from police at a common place to understand what police has been doing over the last one month and to place any grievances they might have, in a public forum. Every city to have these forums where the distance between the police and the aam aadmi is reduced and more interaction facilitated.

I truly believe the above will go a long way for us as a country apart from the many many other suggestions that might be pouring in. If there is anything I can do, along with my friends, in my city, to see any of the suggestions be brought to life, I assure you, we are in. As a sensitive citizen of this country, I would like to do my bit.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I do not have a one-liner for myself and writing anything more than a line here would amount to vanity and/ or boredom. Best left unsaid, even though I've already said so much.